[Mesorah] us'ara / us'arahh

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Wed Apr 25 05:16:08 PDT 2012

At 12:33 25-04-12 +0300, D&E-H Bannett stated the following:
>Re: «I would say that "sei'ar" is masculine, even in its qamatz-heih form >>
>
>Mah t'rivun 'imadi. I take the word of the
>experts.  You disagree with Even Shoshan who
>lists it as feminine and brings sources to prove it.

That's funny.  My Even Shoshan lists it as
masculine and gives examples, such as se`ar
[tzere, qamatz] shahor  Lev. 13:37).

Just to make sure we are talking about the same
word, se`ar refers to hair as the collection of
all the hairs, while sa`ara (patah, hataf-patah,
qamatz) refers to an individual hair.  (And gives
examples, such as Ps 40:13).  This is the feminine word.

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org

Quote of the Week:
"The real opponents of Zionism can never be placated
by any diplomatic formula: their objection to the Jews
is that the Jews exist, and in this particular case, they
exist in Palestine."
-Chaim Weizmann, Israel's first President.