[Mesorah] us'ara / us'arahh

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Tue Apr 24 12:55:06 PDT 2012

Last Shabbat morning my neighbor on the left asked how to
understand the word us'arah in its two appearances in
parashat Sh'mini. in 13:4 "us'ara lo hafakh lavan"  and in
13:20 "us'arahh hafakh lavan" and why the chumash notes that
the first one does not have a mappik in the hei.

He was not satisfied by the obvious answer that the absence
of the mappik is the tradition and isn't meant to change the
meaning, i.e., a sofer found it that way and copied it and,
after many copiers and copies it became tradition. So I
thought for a moment and supplied a replacement.

But first an additional comment,
 Later in the day I happened to see a copy in shul of
Tidbits, the weekly in English by R' Phil Chernofsky of the
OU.  He asked the same question and mentioned that it could
be an omission that became a tradition. He then, as a good
American, brought Art Scroll who translates the mappikless
one as "the hair" and the mappiked one as "its hair".  My
day was made, Art Scroll did it again.

I pointed out to left hand neighbor, who BTW, is a ra"m in
the local yeshiva, that the word se'ar is a shem kibbutzi.
It is in the singular and means the entire group of hairs,
the same as in English it means, for example, a head of
hair. The word s'ara means a single hair, one of the group
known as hair. (I checked later in Even Shoshan who brings
this meaning of s'ara from Tanakh. Mishna and Gemara.)

The s'arahh with mappik, thus means "its hair", the hair on
the nega' turned white, as, the Americans will point out to
me, is proved by Art Scroll.  The mappikless s'ara means
that not a single hair, of the group of hairs on the nega',
had turned white.

But Art Scroll's "the hair" doesn't necessitate that not
even a single hair had turned white.  But that isn't what
made my day.  To me, s'ara means "a single hair" not "the
hair" with the definite article.

I'd appreciate it if someone checks with a knowledgeable
kohen if the halakha requires that every single hair has not
turned.

Before accepting my suggested solution, I should admit that
the word se'ar is masculine and the word s'ara is feminine
so, if I were correct, the Torah would have written "us'ara
lo hafakh lavan" and "us'arahh haf'kha lavan". But it
doesn't.

To help younger Ba'alei Kri'a to remember the mappikless
us"ara, they can use the siman:  When the Torah says LO
there is no mappik, when it doesn't say LO there is a
mappik. Thus, instead of remembering the correct readings,
they will need to also remember the siman.

And while I am on simanim, Torah readers must also know that
near the end of parashat Tzav and near the beginning of
parashat Sh'mini, we find the words tziveiti and tzuveiti.
In Tzav, tziveiti comes before tzuveiti and, in Sh'mini,
tzuveiti comes before tzuveiti.  In Tzav, the siman is
"vayatzitzu". In Sh'mini it is "r'tzutzim".  For those not
satisfied with remembering how read as well as the two
simanin, I suggest remembering also one common siman for
both parashot. It is "tzimtutuni" (as in Tehilim 88).

b'rukhim tihyu,

David