[Mesorah] Q re m'siga (a/k/a/ the "qadma" in the "qadma-qatan" ta'am)

Poppers, Michael MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Thu Oct 27 15:44:46 PDT 2011

My experience with the m'siga (the sign which sometimes appears above a closed, t'nuah-q'tanah syllable of a word-unit whose primary accent is noted by the zaqeif qatan) is that it always appears above the first syllable.  I recently read that the Leningrad Codex displays the m'siga of "v'im-shlosh-eileh" (Ex 21<http://www.mechon-mamre.org/c/ct/c0221.htm>:11) above "shlosh" rather than above "v'im," so I'm wondering if anyone has seen a gadol bam'sorah discuss whether there is a first-syllable rule for the m'siga (or, at least, what appears to be a machloqes mss. in this matter).  Thanks in advance!

A gut'n Shabbes, Gut Chodesh, and all the best from Michael