[Mesorah] FW: [somewhat off-topic] ir Tziyon t'male

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Tue Nov 15 05:48:49 PST 2011

I am short on time, just 3 comments:

1)      Since when can anyone take the vocalization of siddurim on z’miros as reflecting what is correct?  As discussed many times, various printers, rabbis, and ignoramuses have “corrected” siddurim in the nusach of t’fillo, which, at least, had an ancient masorah from all the mss.  However, the z’miros are not in the old mss. and start appearing in siddurim relatively recently.  As such, their vocalization reflects the views of the printer and not of some masorah.  Just look at how they corrupted Koh Ribbon.

2)      Even the printers, rabbis, and ignoramuses who spent time correcting the nusach usually ignored z’miros and payyet.  Ex.: they corrected all the examples in the nusach that ended with –akh to read –ekha, like ittakh to itt’kha, but they didn’t touch the slichos “l’ma‘an britakh.”  So you do not know whose view is reflected in z’miros.

3)      Those two were general k’vetching suitable for curmudgeons.  However, to the point: the verb m-l-’ becomes very complicated even in the T’NaKh.  See Ps. 72:19.  I would bet that the first reaction of most people, including the recondite denizens of Mesorah, would be to correct it to read “viymalle’ k’vodo et kol ha’aretz.”  Since HaZa’L established the nusach of t’filla based on myriad quotes from the T’NaKh, even hidden in places where most people don’t recognize them, it is conceivable that whoever composed the z’mira did the same.  Give me rules that cover all cases of m-l-’ in the T’NaKh and then we can talk about z’mirot.  And even then personally I would spend my time doing other things (the Aramaic z’mirot in the Diwan, anyone?).
Of course, I do not expect my comments to be part of the general thread.  I felt the need to say something because the discussion was so seriously high-minded.  One should treat grammar, unlike the Masorah of theT’NaKh, with a modicum of levity.

Rabbi Seth Mandel