[Mesorah] [somewhat off-topic] ir Tziyon t'male

Michael Hamm msh210 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 13:01:26 PST 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Michael Hamm <msh210 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The song "Tzur Mishelo" contains the line "yibane hamikdash ir Tziyon
> t'male".  That's the wording in every bentscher I'm familiar with, and
> in R' Yaakov Emden's sidur.  But it seems so unpoetic to have the
> first half, "yibane", in nif'al (and passive/intransitive) and the
> second, "t'male", in piel (and active/transitive), when they could
> easily be balanced: "yibane hamikdash ir Tziyon timale" with both in
> nif'al (and passive/intransitive, as in "sheroshi nimla tal" in Shir
> Hashirim).  Does anyone know of sources that have "timale" (nif'al),
> or of a reason it's "t'male" (piel)?

R'Hayyim Obadyah responded on-list with a citation to a sidur with
"timale", and I thank him, but no one explained why, in most sidurim,
it switches binyan midstream.  So I've now asked the question also at
<URL:http://mi.yodeya.com/q/11271/170>, hoping someone there can
answer it.  If anyone on this list now knows an answer, he can post it
there for wider readership; likewise, if any of you wants to see what
others might answer, you can try that URL.

Kol tuv,

Menashe Hamm