[Mesorah] pasuk that is n ot a pasuk

Hayyim Obadyah HayyimObadyah at aol.com
Wed May 25 06:23:33 PDT 2011

Hashem Melekh, which in Sephardic synagogues is usually sung/recited by one
of the congregation rather than by the hazan, follows 'Aromimkha (Ps 30) and
with its accompanying verses (wehaya Hashem lemelekh...) precedes Barukh
She'amar.

Ashkenazim read Barukh She'amar as an introduction to Pesuqei Dezimra in
general, while Sephardim read it, as originally intended, as the
introduction to Daily Hallel (Pss. 145-149).  Yishtabah, originally intended
as the conclusion to the Daily Hallel, is now read by both Ashkenazim and
Sephardim as the transition from Zemirot to Shaharith.  (Sephardim use the
term "Zemirot" rather than "Pesuqei Dezimra".)

The question about Yehi Khebod is emphasized by the fact that it and Ps. 100
Mizmor Letoda follow Barukh She'amar, even for Sephardim.  This suggests
that it was intended as an introduction either to Ps 145 or to Daily Hallel
as a whole, and was so inextricably linked to it that this intro was not
considered an interruption between it and Barukh She'amar.

But does this have anything to do with Masora?
Hayyim