[Mesorah] Singletons in Torah

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 20:57:48 PDT 2011

In a message dated 3/15/2011 9:29:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wxyz9876 at optimum.net writes:

Is there  a list somewhere of all words that are found only once in the
Torah  although they may be found (or a related word with the same
shoresh)  elsewhere in Nach? If so, can you please share it with  me?
Thanks,
Gershon  Rothstein

Mostly what you find when you google is that they talk about  singletons in
the whole Tanach whereas it seems that what you want are words  that are
singletons in Chumash but possibly do appear again elsewhere in  Tanach.
There must be a list somewhere, but I haven't found it.  But  maybe these links
will be of interest to you:

Hapax  Legomenon (plural, hapax legomena). A word that only appears once
in the Bible. It’s often hard to know what these words mean because context
is  an important clue to a word’s meaning, and by definition a hapax
legomenon only  appears once.
see:

[1]  _Click here: Glossary:  Hapax legomenon_
(http://www.bible.gen.nz/amos/glossary/hapexlego.htm)

[2]
_Click  here: JewishEncyclopedia.com - HAPAX LEGOMENA._
(http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=268&letter=H)

[3]
_Kolel Parasha Study_ (http://www.kolel.org/pages/5767/noah.html)
I love noticing such singletons as I read  Torah, as they are often a rich
... I' m sure we'll encounter  other hapax legomena over the course of this
coming  ...
_http://www.kolel.org/pages/5767/noah.html_
(http://www.kolel.org/pages/5767/noah.html)

hope that helps you
if you find a list just for Chumash please let me  know

--Toby
--Toby  Katz