[Mesorah] FW: FW: [Areivim] Oh, Oy, Ow

Areivim areivim at sba2.com
Sat Jun 11 21:24:22 PDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: RA Dr. B. Rosenberg [mailto:]
Sent: Sunday, 12 June 2011 7:50 AM
To: Areivim
Subject: Re: [Mesorah] FW: [Areivim] Oh, Oy, Ow

Gut Woch,

I do not think that I can post a message to all the readers, therefore
may I kindly ask you to publish this for me:

There is a nice story about the son-in-law of the Netziv, Rav Refoel
Shapira. His father's name was Arye Leib. When his wife gave birth to a
boy (who was to beome the father of the future Rosh Yeshiva of Be'er
Yaacov, Rav M. Sh.Shapira), R' Refoel wanted to name the child Arye Leib
after his late father.
Whe his father-in-law, the Netziv, heard about it, he was very upset,
since Ashkenazim are very makpid not to name a child after a living
ancestor.
The Netziv's full name was Naftoli Tzvi Yehuda Leib. He was called Hersh
Leib.
The son-in-law contradicted: Leib as we (Litvakes) pronounce it, may
come from Layb (Tzeirei), which means "lion", or from Loyb (Choylom),
which means "praise". So when it is a nickname for Arye (Lion) it is not
the same name like the nickname for Yehuda (which means praise: hapa'am
oydeh es Hashem, Yehuda atoh yoducho achecho)!
It appears that the the father-in-law didn't accept this argument. The
talmidim of Be'er Yaacov remember their Rosh Yeshiva, the son of the
above mentioned child, being called to the torah Rav Moshe Shmuel ben
Rav Aryeh (without Leib).