[Mesorah] Hirhurim: Oh, Oy, Ow

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 6 08:04:38 PDT 2011

RGS recently ran a post on the four traditional Ashkenazic cholam's
and their modern kin. Noting the interesting point that the popularity
of a movement that claims heritage from the Litvishe Yeshivos led to
the popularity of the Poilishe choilem, not the Litvishe cheilam.

See <http://torahmusings.com/2011/06/the-pronunciation-of-the-cholam-vowel>
"Oh, Oy, Ow".

Which has me wondering... Did Litvaks disambiguate between cheilam and
tzeirei? And if so, how? And how close is the Litvishe cheilem to the
Teimani version that sounds similar to my ear?

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Malchus: What binds different
Fax: (270) 514-1507             people together into one cohesive whole?