[Mesorah] Heh Hayedia

Mandel, Seth mandels at ou.org
Sun Dec 18 07:47:02 PST 2011

REMT is correct regarding the Bronx.  The issue is not whether the Bronx always appears with the definite article, but rather whether a specific place name may appear with the article.  Names such as Manhattan, Riverdale, or Elizabeth cannot accept the definite article, whereas Bronx always does in speech, and usually does in writing.
There are different classes of nouns in English. "Mass nouns" or "uncountable nouns" such as "water" do not accept the definite article unless they are used eliptically for "a/the cup of water"; e.g "bring the water here" is eliptical, vs."water irrigates plants."  This is a marker of different languages, and in Hebrew, it is standard (but not required) to use the definite article with mass nouns.
In the same way, proper nouns in English and in most languages generally do not accept the definite article.  However, some proper names are "marked" as taking the definite article; this is a different class of proper nouns, and include Bronx in English, and 'Ay in Hebrew.

Rabbi Seth Mandel