[Mesorah] Ein mafsikin b'massa'os

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 06:33:49 PDT 2011

In a message dated 8/2/2011 9:20:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gershon.dubin at juno.com writes:

<<This gets off Mesorah material, but I am sure that there were  many
travelers in the desert, caravans that passed through, and they named the  places
where they could rest, probably oases and wadis that had water in the
winter.  The Sinai is not all endless sand like the Sahara.  [--TK]>>

You were apparently not listening that carefully to last week's  haftorah.
See Yirmiya 2:6;  the Gemara also learns from this  pasuk that anyplace
that Adam Harishon determined should be settled, was,  and vice versa.  The
implication is that Midbar Sinai was a complete  wasteland.

Gershon
_gershon.dubin at juno.com_ (mailto:gershon.dubin at juno.com)

But it is /not/ a complete wasteland.

You could just say the Gemara is wrong, or I guess you could try to find a
different understanding of what a "wasteland" means here.

It is not settled territory and would not support farms and  cities, but it
supports travelers, and travelers certainly named oases,  springs,
mountains and wadis that they visited as they traveled.

--Toby
--Toby Katz

_57 Year Old Mom  Looks 27!
Mom Reveals $5 Wrinkle  Trick That Has Angered Doctors!
_ (http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/4e37f9a0c7eb9356d17st06vuc)
_ConsumerLifestyles.org_
(http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3132/4e37f9a0c7eb9356d17st06vuc)