[Mesorah] Ein mafsikin b'massa'os

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 2 05:31:10 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 09:42:21PM +1000, Areivim wrote:
: From: mesorah-bounces at lists.aishdas.org On Behalf Of Elazar M. Teitz
: Subject: [Mesorah] Ein mafsikin b'massa'os

Doesn't the discussion of why the Torah seems to list only 41 masa'os
of interest to the wider Avodah audience? A broader discussion means
getting more people's answers as well.

:> However, Masei only lists 41 masa'os.

: I counted them.  41 plus Arvos Moav - making it 42. And before anyone says
: that Arvos Moav shouldn't be counted - ayen the last Rashi in Pekudei.
: Nice piece all about this in the Pardes Yosef Hachodosh (from where I took
: most of what i am writing here)

: Addendum: Divrei Yoel al HaTorah (by the SR zt'l) asks this (plus another
: 15-20 questions on this topic).
: And BTW, he mention sthat the meforshei rashi also ask this question..

: 1) There are only 41 maso'os mentioned and 2) "Vaysu meRaamses is mentioned
: twice. Why?

: One of his explanations is citing the Targum Yonoson on 'Vo'eso es'chem al
: kanfei nesharim' - that the clouds carried the bnei yisroel from
: Raamses to the makom hamikdash where they ate the korban Pesach and then
: returned them to Raamses.

: Therefore there were actully 2 maso'os leaving Raamses - making a total of
: 42 maso'os.

: BTW the PYH asks beshem "Ari bemistorim" (no idea) how come the maso'os of
: parshas Chukas are not listed here?
: ==
: And I have found who the Ari bemistorim is.
: Written by a son of the late Gerrer rebbe [the Pnei Menachem], Reb Yehuda
: Aryeh Alter z'l (SIL of RM Klein) who was tragically killed in a traffic
: accident many years ago.

: BTW the DY also writes: "raui lehavin mi nasan shemos lemekomos
: halalu...midbar tziyeh ushemama, velo avar bo ish me'olom..."

: SBA