[Mesorah] malei de malei rule?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sat Jan 9 20:10:15 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:16:30PM +0200, D&E-H Bannett wrote:
: BTW, The subject talks of a rule.  I might have missed
: earlier posts. What is the rule that is involved here.  I
: have often stated on-list that I'm opposed to rules, all I
: know is that sometime a word might appear in different
: places malei, chaser, malei d'malei, etc...

I was willing to learn it was more of a rule of thumb or some other
vagueness than something with only a handful of exxeptions in Tanakh.
The loss of an eim hamiqra in positions that usually have one -- the
"-is" and "-os" suffixes -- indicates though that something actually
pulled the letter out. I wanted to know if there was a formal discussion
about what that "something" is.

E.g. I noted it might say something about syllable stress, or that imahot
hamiqra are simply less important after the first one cluing you in to
what the word is. Etc...

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger             A life of reaction is a life of slavery,
micha at aishdas.org        intellectually and spiritually. One must
http://www.aishdas.org   fight for a life of action, not reaction.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            -Rita Mae Brown