[Mesorah] another grammar question

Ben Kandel bkandel at yu.edu
Sun Aug 29 07:10:50 PDT 2010

  The Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon (Google it), probably the most
accurate girsa of Targumim available, has "l'mis" (the listserve won't
let me attach a screenshot of it, but you can look it up--go to the
"Targum Studies Module").

In any case, a lamed before a word can often have a kametz without it
necessarily taking the place of the missing definite article "ha",
especially when it precedes the accented syllable.  Examples: /bein
mayim lo-moyim /(Bereishit 1:6); /lo-netzach/ (many times, e.g.
Yirmiyahu 3:5); /lo-zeh/ (every time it appears, for example Shmuel Alef
21:12, 25:21), etc.  This also often appears when the lamed is before an
infinitive, for example in /lo-ses, lo-ledes, /etc. So I think it was
probably not a mistake that changed the meaning of the word.

Kol tuv

Ben Kandel