[Mesorah] Sefardic nusach of brachos

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 19:44:59 PDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Joshua Meisner <jmeisner at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I understand correctly, the nusach that Sefardim use for the bracha
> rishona on wine is "Borei p'ri ha-gefen", rather than that used by
> Ashkenazim of "Borei p'ri ha-gafen".  At first glance, this seems to be
> identical to the difference in "Mashiv ha-ru'ach u-morid ha-geshem/gashem",
> which I had assumed was due to a difference in opinion over whether the
> latter line is the end of a primary clause, and hence should have its
> accented vowel lengthened from a segol into a kamatz, as is done in Tanach
> with words that have an esnachta or a siluk.  However, this reason would not
> apply for the former case (when the question re-occurred to me over Shabbos
> dinner, I wondered if the vowelization gefen was used only at night, but my
> Sefardic host assured me that it was not).
>
> Hence, what is the reason behind these differences?  And why would this
> reason not be similarly applicable to "haMotzi lechem min ha-aretz"?  (A
> desire to use the exact vowelization of the passuk that serves as the source
> for the bracha seems to be an overly simplistic answer)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Josh
>

> Quickly
Goffen and Goshem are both pausal forms.
But the 2 cases are different

Gorren is ALWAYS at the end of the statement.
Goshem is NOT NECESSARILY at the end.

To put it this way if you DO say Goshem you MUST say Goffen, but if you say
Goffen you may or may not say Goshem because you might not construe this
phrase as meriting a pasue or pausal format.

I suggest looking at birchot hashachar for Oved vs. Eved Gover vs. Gever and
several other cases of pauslas coming at the end of a blessing [e.g.
af'a'poy instead of af'af pie].

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com