[Mesorah] morid ha-geshem

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Wed Sep 17 11:17:19 PDT 2008

At 11:13 17-09-08 -0400, Micha Berger stated the following:

>According to R' David Gorelick, when he was RYBS's gabbai in the mid
>70s, RYBS said "mashiv haruach umorid hatal" with a patach.

This is the vocalization used by Karlin-Stolin Hasidim.

I have also HEARD that this vocalization is used in an (the?)
authentic Vilna Gaon siddur.

I have also HEARD that this vocalization is used in the Tak'lal of
the Baladi Teimanim.  I have my doubts, because the Teimani hazzanut
that one can hear on the web sounds like a qamatz.  I hope to check b"n.

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org