[Mesorah] Contents of Mesorah digest 25 vol 1

Noam Kaplan noamk1 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 01:31:43 PDT 2008

If you look in the Chelek Hadikduk of the Maharitz on the pasuk in Yeshaya, you will see that the Jews of Yemen pronounce the first letter with a dagesh because of Ogira (Asifa) (Collection in aramaic) e.g. exceptions to the rule. The second letter is pronounced with a sh'va na because of the gaya and is similar to the resh in ar'voth moav. The third letter is rafe. There are examples among the yemenites where even though the sh'va is nach the next letter is rafe.  For example, Devarim 34, 1 where the resh of me'arvoth moav is nach but the vet is rafe.

Noam
noamkap at gmail.com

PS Micha, I think you mean tiru batov not Tir'u  with a sh'va na  that means to be fearful.