[Mesorah] nasog achor

Dov Bloom dovb at netvision.net.il
Sun Oct 19 06:20:43 PDT 2008

1. the second word must not only be mil'el but accented on its FIRST syllable to have nasog achor
2. Thus nasog achor will thus prevent two consecutive accented syllables
3. As RM Popper commented, nasog achor is a possibility, not a necessity (it doesnt always occur to prevent 2 consecutive accented syllables)
4. NA will therefore not occur if the first word has a ta'am mafsik (tipcha, tvir, revia, TGedola, Geresh etc) because the taam mafsik is enough to separate the two consecutive accents

An pretty exhaustive monograph on the subject of NA (titled "Nesiga" was written by a professor named EJ Revell from U of Toronto. He analyzes when NA occurs partially based on word stucture and derivation. This book was published by the Int'l Organization for Massoretic Studies (known as the IOMS. yes, there is such a thing and they are having 2 meetings this year, one in the US in Boston Sun-Mon Nov 23-4 in conjunction with a general Biblical Literature meeting and one in Israel in conjunction with the World Congress of Jewish Studies in Jerusalem on Sunday, 2 August 2009.
Any Bostonians from our Mesorah list who happen to attend, I woulds be happy to hear a report.)