[Mesorah] reish [was:Chataf Patach]

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 15:02:58 PST 2008

In a message dated 11/25/2008, nwitty at optonline.net writes:

As to R'  Bennett's comment:  only groniyot alef-heh-ayin-chet take a
chatf-anything ina  place that a sheva would have been called for had
the letter been any other.

We have all seen the raish take it as  well, perhaps because it is gronit
(is it really?).

I've wondered about that as well.  In Israel most people pronounce the  "r"
in the back of their throats like Russians, so it does seem to be gronit,  but
some people pronounce reish as a rolling "r" with the tongue behind the  front
teeth, up against the palate -- sort of like Scotchmen -- while Americans  of
course pronounce the "r" in the front of their mouths.  And many Asians  find
it hard to pronounce it at all, producing an "L" sound instead.  I  think
it's safe to assume that reish was not originally pronounced the way  Americans
pronounce "r" but how /was/ it originally pronounced?  It is  strange to think
that there are several totally different ways one letter  could be pronounced.

--Toby
--Toby  Katz
"If you don't read the newspaper you are  uninformed;
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
--Mark  Twain
Read *Jewish World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)