[Mesorah] ham'chadesh, ham'vorach, ...

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Thu May 29 13:58:04 PDT 2008

Just to add a bit of information on the original question of
words with hei hay'dia followed by mem:

Below are two postings from July and September 2000.  They
were sent to RMB and RMP.  They were sent just before the
separate Mesorah sub-list was formed as can be seen from the
last sentence in the second posting

Enjoy,

David

Re: ham*

<<what is the breakdown of dagesh to non-dagesh, when
computed separately for nouns and verbs? As has been  quoted
by Michael  Poppers.>>

Examining by eye  in the CD Keter, I find, the large
majority of

nouns have the dagesh in the mem while the majority of verbs

and adjectives are dageshless.

David

Here are  some statistics on words with hei hay'di'a
followed by mem:

In the Keter as per R' Menahem Cohen and by courtesy of my
computer and after removal by eye of hei hash'ela words:

Ham* with patah and sheva without dagesh in mem - 70
occurrences

Ham* with patah and hataf patah w/o dagesh in mem - 67

Ham* with patach and sh'va and with a dagesh in the mem -
226 (including five

Hamedatas which might or might not be hei hay'di'a

226:137 is about 1.65 to 1.  Is this ratio sufficiently
large to justify a grammatical rule

based on the Tanakh? (one exception for every 2.65)

Torah is not random. Does that include the niceties
(dikdukim) of nikkud. Is the variation for derash. Is it
something we just don't know the reason for? Can analysis of
the words  give consistent rules?

If a separate list, I prefer mesora at aishdas to
dikduk at aishdas.  It ‘s a more "Jewish" field.

David