[Mesorah] l'haalos ner tamid

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Mon May 12 12:06:41 PDT 2008

I'm not sure whether I mentioned this on this list the last time it came
up, but don't think so.  (Are there archives anywhere?)  The baal k'ria in
my shul read "l'haalos, ner tamid" instead of "l'haalos ner, tamid",
switching the mer'cha and tip'cha.  *If* "tamid" can be an adjective, then
that error seems to me to change the meaning of the phrase from "to raise
a lamp constantly" to "to raise a constant lamp", so, I'm guessing, would
be correctable.  Is "tamid" an adjective, though?  And, if so, is my
analysis right?

Kol tuv,

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis