[Mesorah] FW: bar hamitzvah

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Mar 9 20:25:33 PDT 2008

-- "SBA" <areivim at sba2.com> wrote:
And then I saw a comment re the Belzer barmitzvah where the boy was
described as äîúáøîõ “hamisbarmetz”…

I don't know the context, and my mailreader garbled some of your characters, but it sounds to me like someone was trying to translate "was barmitzvahed" into Hebrew.

There's a long history of morphing new words from old roots, or from new roots that were derived from old words. I don't know many other languages, but Hebrew seems very suited for this, and this feature is one of its real strengths.

Just one example of this would be the verb "misyahadim". Some would call that Purim Torah, but I mean it seriously.

Akiva Miller