[Mesorah] ham'chadesh, ham'vorach, ...

hayyimobadyah at aol.com hayyimobadyah at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 12:05:12 PDT 2008

Gesenius sees the mem after the article as having a "virtual dagesh", and so it acts grammatically as if it had a dagesh (the shewa is na') but is not pronounced as a doubled consonant. (He applies this to the other exceptins as well and theorizes that in these cases the actual pronunciation had lost the doubling and so the Masoretes did not record dagesh.).
Although he did not do so in his edition of the Ashkenazi siddur, in his Sephardic siddur Rev. Dr. De Sola Pool indicated for each shewa under such a mem that it is to be pronounced as shewa na'.
Hayyim