[Mesorah] 2 q on shva

Noah Witty nwitty at optonline.net
Mon Jul 28 05:05:40 PDT 2008

When nun peshuta gets a komatz, it's usually a quasi kri u'khsiv of a
verb deviating from the full form of the 2nd or 3rd person plural
feminine or fem. plural command.  So in that sense, it's really a nun
kefufa.  Thus, when it fails to receive a sheva, that's because it
really is a end-nun, and last letters do not usually receive any sheva
unless it is penultimate letter is a sheva as well, whether noun or
verb, e.g. kosht, va-shavt.

Without some research, I can't tell whether that sheva is na or nakh,
but perhaps the above goes some way toward addressing Avi's other query
about the lack of a vowelized last letter.  BTW, I don't know why his
acquaintance is picking on Hebrew. Lots of words in English and French
dont't have the last letter pronounced, and in French the very suffix
letter(s) that in verbs indicate person, gender and number are
frequently silent.

WRT kaf sofit and a komatz, the word yad-cha appears with a kaf kefufa
and followed by a heh, as well as with a kaf peshuta alone.

Maybe some of this has to do with the motza ha-peh for the menatzpach .
 . .