[Mesorah] Hoshiya Na Hatzlicha Na

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Thu Jul 24 08:03:56 PDT 2008

Re: your question <<difference between the dagesh chazak in
the 'na' of of Hoshia na and the lack of one in hatzlicha
na?>>

I suggest you look in R' Mordekhai Breuer's book on the
Keter, IIRC page 43. He points out that, in all the ancient
manuscripts as well as the Mikraot Gedolot Venetzia 5286,
both hoshiya and hatzlicha have the same ta'am
(tzinorit-merkha) and a dagesh in "na".  Radak and other
medakd'kim and ba'alei mesora mention the unusual, that both
words are milra'.  Because of a misinterpretation of the
Mesora(see Breuer), this was changed by the Minchat Shai to
the way it appears today in most printed Tanakh. Since then
we have the mileil of the hoshiya. Those "in the know" added
the incorrect "diyyuk" of reading (only) the hatzlicha as
milra'. Or is that "diyyuk" the reading of hoshiya as
mileil?

So, to summarize:  According to all the old sources, both
Na's have a dagesh, both words have same ta'am, both words
are milra'.

k"t,

David