[Mesorah] this week's haftorah

David E Cohen ddcohen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 04:25:54 PST 2008

R' Gershon Dubin asked:
> Any observations on the dilug lemafre'ah?

My only observation is that if one were to look for pesukei nechamah with
which to end the haftarah by going forward, one would have a very hard time
finding any in the near vicinity.  Thus, we are left with "no choice" but to
skip backwards.

The only "positive" pasuk that I can see at all in this area of Yirmiyahu is
at the end of Perek 35 (about the benei Reikhav), and it doesn't make much
sense to read that pasuk without reading the entire rest of the perek.
Perhaps this is why the Teimainim DO add on the entire Perek 35, even though
its relevance to Parashat Mishpatim is less direct.  This allows them to
finish on a positive note, without having to take the pasuk from the end of
Perek 35 out of context, and without having to skip backwards.

--D.C.