[Mesorah] Shalsheleth

dovb at netvision.net.il dovb at netvision.net.il
Wed Dec 3 14:48:26 PST 2008

Definitely the paseq-like line after a munach-legarmei or a shalshelet
gedola in taamei emet is not a paseq. A paseq can only occur after a
meshareit (conjunct trop) and the legarmei and shalshelet are mafsikim
(disjunct trop).

This is because the paseq indicates a weaker pause even than the weakest
mafsik.
There would be, therefore, no impact were the pasek to be after a mafsik.

Source:
Wolf Heidenheim Mishpatei HaTeamim zayin amud bet: Lo nimna lo im
haTeamim(hamafsikim) velo in hameshartim

Leah Widawski (Now Dr. Leah Himmelfarb who teaches in Bar Ilan and
specializes in Messora and Taamei HaMikra) wrote the authoritative text on
the paseq so far - a 400 page doctorate on the paseq (Bar Ilan 1990).
She gives 3 reasons on page 2 to support Heidenheim who claims that the
paseq is not a ta'am:
1) the paseq has no musical value like all other teamim
2) the paseq comes after a word while the teamin usually are above or below
the word, nearly always above or below the first letter of the accented
syllable of the word
3) The rules regarding application of the paseq are not absolute whereas
the teamim generally have absolute rules

(for example: the tipcha is the last disjunct before sof pasuq; if 2
zekaifim appear in one tzela, the first is the stronger and the second
divides the words following the first zakef. ) Rules for occurances of
paseq are formulated "often" "sometimes" "frequently" "usually" but never
"always". I guess the exception would be my statement above: a pasek never
follows a ta'am mafsik! This is not a rule when paseq does occur, but a
definition of when in _can_ possibly occur. So Himmelfarb is accurate that
the rules regarding the application of paseq are not absolute.

Breuers book on Ttaamei HaMikra has a whole chapter on paseq. In English
see Wickes book (reprinted by Ktav) that I quoted in my last post.

Subject: Re: [Mesorah] Shalsheleth
Without the pasek of the legarmei it would not be a legarmei
but an ordiinary munach, ilui or karbolta.

Just as two symbols are used in ta'amei emet to indicate a
single ta'am, so the legarmei is indicated by two symbols to
identify it as different from the other t'amim that use the
inverse L, munach symbol.

The pasek's integration into the legarmei symbol might be
justification for the comment that it is not officially a
pasek.