[Mesorah] vay'an'cha (vayar'ivecha)

Benjamin M. Kandel bkandel at yu.edu
Fri Aug 22 06:25:00 PDT 2008

The sheva is indeed nah.  A yod only gets a dagesh after a vav ha-hippukh
when it has a vowel under it; when it has a sheva, it's always nah.  Most
ba'alei keri'ah don't do this correctly, and say, for example, "vayehi",
instead of the correct "vaihi".  If it had a vowel, it would get a dagesh
hazak, as in "vayyihyu".  (Jacobson discusses this in "Chanting the Hebrew
Bible", but I don't have it with me so I can't give the exact reference.)

Kol tuv

Ben Kandel