[Mesorah] cholov shechalovoi goy

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Mon Sep 17 13:43:35 PDT 2007

At 10:38 17-09-07 -0400, Zev Sero stated the following:

>Ira L. Jacobson wrote:

What follows was NOT written by your faithful servant.  Rather, I
took issue with it.  So any implication that I wrote that statement
was not quite accurate.

>>At 23:53 16-09-07 -0400, Richard Wolpoe stated the following:
>>
>>>I concur with Micha's point. Baruch Shkivanti becasue i have been
>>>advocating this peshat in Tallis Katan for years, i.e. a Tallis OF a Katan.
>>>
>>>However, an Israelit friend of mine pointed out that "Tallis"  may
>>>indeed be masculine.   His Proof?  The plural
>>>is  Talisos  [Talitot] and NOT Taliyot  which would correspond
>>>to  Ta'anis and Taa'niyos.
>
>How do you know?   A scan at
>http://www.mechon-mamre.org/searchgh.htm comes up with no hits for
>"talitot", but two hits for "taliyot", which are actually the same
>reference, a mishna in Zavim that is quoted in Gemara Shabbat.  It
>seems that Chazal rarely had occasion to refer to them in the
>plural, so we can't be sure what the most common plural was. One
>example is not statistically significant.
>
>>But perhaps more to the point, bayit and zayit are mil`eil, while
>>talit is milra
>
>Again, how do you know?

That I did indeed write.  The answer to your question -- how do I
know this -- is that "talit" follows the pattern of all other
four-letter (or more) singular nouns I know that end in hiriq yod
tav---such as  ta`anit, zavit, she-erit, zekhukhit or raqdanit.  I am
aware that there are exceptions to the rule for forming plurals, such
as berit and hazit.   But we assume that "talit" is a Hebrew word and
it follows the rules of Hebrew grammar.  Even foreign words used in
Hebrew follow the rules of Hebrew grammar.

Whereas, on the other hand, bayit and zayit have only three letters
each.  They are in the class of shemot mil`eli'im mishorashim
nehshalim, whereas the first group are simply mele`im besiyyum hiriq yod tav.

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org