[Mesorah] CORRECTION Re: Cholov Yisroel or Chaleiv Yisroel?

Ira L. Jacobson laser at ieee.org
Tue Sep 11 12:03:31 PDT 2007

Please replace my previous posting with this one.

At 18:22 11-09-07 +0300, D&E-H Bannett stated the following:

>Re: <<Also note the Even Shoshan dictionary, which gives both halev
>(hataf-patah tzere) and halav (hataf-patah, patah) as nismakh forms.>>
>
>Upon reading your e-mail quoted above, I checked with my copy of
>Even Shoshan and found that it does NOT give the hataf-patach patach
>(hp-p) form as s'mikhut.

Could you check again?

Look after the second definition (second column of page 217 in my
edition [Qiryat Sefer, printed 1973], second and third lines).    It
has hataf-patah, patah as the first choice (end of second line), and
hataf-patah, tzere as the second choice (beginning of third line).

>It has hp-p as the aramaic word for milk.  It has hp-tz as the
>s'mikhut and gives a three examples. halev-beitzim, haleiv-yonim and
>halev-tzippor.
>
>When the s'mikhut has a suffix indicating the person, his, her
>your,etc. then it becomes hp-p.

My dictionary has halavo as hataf-patah, qamatz, holam.  Are you sure
yours has hataf-patah, patah, holam?  Mine follows the pattern of
hakhmamo or anavo (hataf-patah, qamatz, holam).

>  The entry for s'mikhut is given as halev, chalavo.

Please check the preceding line, which has hataf-patah, patah as the
first entry.  At least in my Even Shoshan.

IRA L. JACOBSON
mailto:laser at ieee.org