[Mesorah] RH a chag?

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Thu Oct 11 09:16:22 PDT 2007

R' J. Meisner:
> "Tik'u ba-chodesh shofar, ba-keseh l'yom chageinu".

M. Hamm:
> "Ezehu chag shehachodesh miskase bo have omer ze Rosh Hashsna."

M. Hamm, still:
> But is the word used anywhere outside of that to describe
> RH?  As far as I can tell ... Yad Hachazaka refers only
> to the r'galim as "chag".  Anywhere else?

R'KG(A)M:
> Tehillim. And we have a quote from a Gemara which confirms
> the implications of that pasuk. Isn't that enough?

No, I wanted to know whether the word "chag" is (or was) _used_ to include
RH.  The fact that one pasuk uses it is not enough; and even if it is, it
doesn't show later (or earlier) use of "chag" with that meaning, whence my
reference to Rambam.  (And the G'mara merely is darshning the pasuk, not
using the word "chag".  There are many instances, of which I of course can
cite none, where a G'mara will quote a pasuk and darshn it in a way that
deviates from the real meaning of the words of the pasuk.)

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print:
http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ ... legal.html