[Mesorah] RH a chag?

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:36:06 PDT 2007

On 10/10/07, Michael Hamm <msh210 at math.wustl.edu> wrote:

> My Artscroll Rosh Hashana machzor, on the page with "l'shana tova
> tikasev", says that after the first night it's traditional to say instead
> "gut yom tov" or "chag sameach".  Since when is RH a chag?  I thought that
> referred only to the shalosh r'galim.
>
> Michael Hamm
> AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis
> msh210 at math.wustl.edu                Fine print:
> http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ ... legal.html
>
> I was intending to post this on another thread

   - Note that Vatiten lanu has Hag and Zm'an fo rall 3 regalim [caveat
   Rema on 8th day of Sukkos]
   - It has NO term of Z'man nor Hag for the Yamin Noraim - rather es YOM
   x.YOM y

This leads me to concur that the structure indicates z'man/hag as one
category and the Yom/Yom as another completely separate category

Caveat. Motzo'ei YK is considered a YT in Yekke-land. This is probably
related to the piyyut "v'yom Tov haya ose Kohein Gadol ..."  or perhaps
after the mehila of YK and the upcoming advent of Sukkoss??

My thesis is that the structure of Vatiten lanu is indicative of something
specific. How far to interpret that supposition is debatable.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com