[Mesorah] David melech Yisrael

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon May 7 11:39:15 PDT 2007

Michael Hamm wrote:
> Does anyone know the origin of the sentence "David melech Yisrael chay
> v'kayam" (which appears in kidush l'vana (birchas hal'vana) and in the
> z'miros for motzae Shabas)?

David and Yaacov are (AFAIK) the only people in Tanach whose passing from
this world is described, but of whom the Tanach doesn't actually say that
they died.  The gemara says that Yaacov actually didn't die, and what
appeared to be his death was an illusion (at least, this is how Rashi
understands that gemara).  "David...chai vekayam" appears to be based on
the same principle.  I don't know where it first appears, though.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.