[Mesorah] trop changing meaning

Michael Hamm msh210 at math.wustl.edu
Mon May 7 11:24:04 PDT 2007

On this past Shabas, p. Emor, the baal k'ria transposed the mer'cha and
the tip'cha at the end of 24:2, reading "l'haalos, ner tamid", "to raise a
constant flame", instead of "l'haalos ner, tamid", "to raise a flame
constantly", and thus, I think, changing the meaning of the words.  No one
corrected him: I, for one, didn't know whether he had to go back, and
figured I wouldn't be listened to if I tried to correct him!

The same issue appears, fo course, at the start of T'tzave.

Also, in R'e 16:6, we find similarly: "... el hamakom asher yivchar Hashem
elokecha l'shaken sh'mo, sham tizbach es hapesach...", "to the place that
Hashem your gd will choose to settle His name, there shall you slaughter
the pesach".  Years ago I heard a baal k'ria put the zakef-katon on "sham"
instead of on "sh'mo", so it read "... l'shaken sh'mo sham, tizbach...",
"... to settle His name there, shall you slaughter...", and he was
corrected.

Kol tuv,

Michael Hamm
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis