[Mesorah] Dagesh

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 11 08:58:53 PDT 2007

On Sun, June 3, 2007 2:10 am, Gershon Dubin wrote:
: Can someone tell me the rule when a final chaf gets a dagesh and
when : not?

When the shoresh has a letter dropped. The cases I can think of:
- doubled letter at the tale of the shoresh
- a khaf at the end of the shoresh, getting folded into the -kha
- a trailing nun at the end of the shoresh.

Cheinn is from chanan, so the suffix becomes "-ka" in "viychunneka".

This is not the usual "dot instead of doubling" as that would be a
discussion about the nun, not the kaf peshutah.

This list isn't busy enough to warrant my checking the moderation
queue with any regularity. So, emails sometimes get stuck. Feel free
to prod me if you're wondering where your post went.

This post got held up for a day in the moderation queue (I think
because it was sent to "mesora", which then got translated, but made
the server suspicious), but I never would have known to look for it
had I not been also emailed the post directly.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

--
Micha Berger             Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
micha at aishdas.org        your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your