[Mesorah] Vaiyoled banim -- uvanos

Dov Bloom dovb at netvision.net.il
Sat Oct 21 10:38:02 PDT 2006

Because in the lists only the "banim" are mentioned so that is the main thing. Otherwise "banim ubanot" would be an semi-equal pair which according to the following geneological list they aren't.
Sorry its not Politically correct but that is pshat on the teamin.

Another explanation: When we have 2 objects ( as I explained the banim and banot are 2 different things, not "children" the division is between the 2 different objects.)

for a parallel case - "Aviv VeEmo" father and mother, sometimes means each one separately, sometimes means "2 parents together"

Example " Makeh Aviv VeEmo" - Shmot 21:15 each parent is separate, if he strikes on parent he is punishable by death.  Tevir on the word Aviv.
                "VeTofsu Vo Aviv VeEmo"  Devarim 21:19 -  both parents must bring him to beit din for him to be a "ben sorer u-more" so the parents are a unit and not broken up by the te'amim

EAch parent separate

See Shmot 21:15  (each parent separate) accd to Rashi - "oh ze oh ze" Ibn Ezra - "uMakeh yesharet Baavor echad"
Shmot 21:17 Each parent separate according to the teamin and Sanhedrin 66:a
Shmot 20:12 - honor each parent separately - a mafsik on "father"

Parents together

Bereshit 28:7 - Yaacov listened to both his parents together - so they are joined by the teamim
Devarim 21:19 both parents together - see mMishna Sanhedrin Perek 8 Mishna 4 - HAya Aviv Rotze VeImo eina Rotza , Aviv Eino Rotze VeImo Rotza - Eino Naase Ben sorer UMoreh...