[Mesorah] Shalom aleikhem

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Fri Oct 20 13:55:45 PDT 2006

    In answer to the question of why we say "Sholom aleichem" in the
plural, RSZBerger resonded that "Plural address is common as a marker
of respect, in Loshn-Koydesh as in a number of European languages
today."

     Third-person address is, I believe, the marker of respect in
Tanach and the g'mara (Yavo hamlech, Mar hu d'amar). Where do we find
the plural used in this manner?

     I have heard the use of the plural, primarily in Yeshivishe
circles in Israel, but it is obvious that it is translation from
the "Ihr" of Yiddish.  I doubt that there is a single instance of its
use at the time Shalom aleichem became a greeting.

     (English, of course, is the most respectful of all languages:
second person singular has been eliminated completely, leaving only
the plural "you.")

EMT