[Mesorah] Ngayin

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Dec 12 14:24:24 PST 2006

R' Lipman Phillip Minden wrote:
> The other day I heard the idea that the ng pronunciation
> of Ayin might be the one the massoretes had in mind.

My understanding has been that the massoretes merely tried to record
sounds in a consistent manner, in writing, so that (for example) one
could easily be sure which words have a kamatz and which have a
patach, or which have a esnachta and which have a sof pasuk.

I am troubled by RLPM's use of the phrase "had in mind". He seems to
suggest that the massoretes were attempting to change pronunciation
towards a particular direction. Am I mistaken? Did they try to change
the way the ayin was pronounced?

If I am indeed wrong on this, then I would love to see some sort of
very basic introduction to this subject. Preferably in English. "The
Mesorah for Dummies", perhaps. Anyone wanna write it?

Akiva Miller