[Mesorah] Hamotzi lechem min ha'adama???

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 4 04:09:22 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 11:24:59PM -0500, Sholom Simon wrote:
: I think that is an answer to the "hamotzie" part -- but the original
: question is: why davka "ha'aretz" as opposed to "ha'adamah" ?  (And,
: for p'ri ha'adamah, why that rather than p'ri ha'aretz)?

Here's a half-baked idea for the chevrah to discuss/refute:

Do we ever find farmers working "ha'aretz"?

OTOH, hamotzi lekhem is explicitly about Hashem's contribution despite
the harvesting, winnowing, grinding, mixing, kneading and baking, so
there we switch to "aretz" that lacks the "farmed" connotation.

Tir'u baTov!
-mi

PS: Apologies for the "half-baked" pun.

--
Micha Berger             The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
micha at aishdas.org        ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.