[Avodah] Intent?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 9 10:53:29 PDT 2024

On Mon, Sep 30, 2024 at 05:51:09PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> Listening to a class on charity, the point was made that the donors' reason
> for wanting their name on something may be positive...

Kin'as soferim tarbeh chokhmah. Kin'as baalei tzedaqah...

If you want donations to become a given, you may need to name names.

In the case of Ruth Gottesman's donation to Einstein College of Medicine
(a foundation that reduced tuition to zero), she didn't want to be named.
The school insisted, because she is a former professor there, and the
dedication of the faculty was a story they wanted told.

So yes, this comes up.

>        In addition, how many of us can really be so self-aware as to know
> what our real underlying drivers are and what are the stories we tell
> ourselves. Thoughts?

We are obligated to work on our self-awareness. Whether we look at
Hilkhos Dei'os, Mesilas Yesharim on Zehirus and keeping a Cheshbon
haNefesh, or Tenu'as haMussar.

But having a friend, or a formal chavrusah in Middos, can help one stay
honest with oneself. It doesn't have to be entirely *self*-awarness,
if you can trust someone to work on these things together.

GCT!

Micha Berger                 The waste of time is the most extravagant
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   of all expense.
Author: Widen Your Tent                              -Theophrastus
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF