[Avodah] Intent?

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 14:51:09 PDT 2024

Listening to a class on charity, the point was made that the donors’ reason
for wanting their name on something may be positive. I was thinking of a
parallel to a prayer leader who prays with a beautiful voice. The Shulchan
Aruch states that halacha views this differently depending on whether he’s
doing so for the right reasons or the wrong reasons. In both these cases, I
wonder why isn’t there a reflection of how others seeing or hearing react
to it. In addition, how many of us can really be so self-aware as to know
what our real underlying drivers are and what are the stories we tell
ourselves. Thoughts?
KVCT and Bsorot tovot
Joel Rich