[Avodah] Bikurim -- halakhah lemaaseh

Ilana Elzufon ilanasober at mail.gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 01:23:27 PDT 2024

On Mon, Sep 23, 2024 at 5:59PM Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2024 at 10:09:23AM -0400, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
>> Do "we hold like" this Rashi?

> Okay, ignore the previous post. Bikurim is only bizman habayis.
> So, new question... Why not? Yes, therew is no BHMQ to being it to.
> But why aren't we obligated to be mafrish bikkurim and then let them
> rot, hafrashas challah style?

On one foot (and I could be wrong), but just looking at the mishna it seems
that bikkurim have no minimum shiur (as we say every morning) and that
there is no problem similar to tevel if a tiny amount of bikkurim is mixed
in with regular produce, so there are no tangible consequences to not
designating bikkurim. Conversely, there's no way to do the mitzva without
Beit Hamikdash and tumah v'tahara.

Hafrashat challa seems to me somewhat unique, in that it was deliberately
extended to chu"l, despite the lack of tumah v'tahara, in order that "it
not be forgotten from Israel." I have wondered whether the dedication to
preserving specifically hafrashat challa (currently derabbanan even in EY)
has anything to do with women's strong connection to that particular mitzva.