[Avodah] Context?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 11 10:51:30 PDT 2024

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 08:14:19PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> After sending out a bio of R Sternbuch to some folks I learn with, I stated
> The reason I thought this important is it's my feeling that one component
> of understanding responsa is knowing the context of the community that it
> was given in. South Africa was not, as I understand it, necessarily what we
> would consider the same type of community as the eida charedit in
> Jerusalem. Thus knowing where Rabbi Sternbuch gave these responses is
> important....

But different than the beginning of the paragraph. You started with

> The reason I thought this important is it's my feeling that one component
> of understanding responsa is knowing the context of the community that it
> was given in.....

But then you shift to knowing not where the recipient(s) of the pesaq
stand but knowing the stance of the poseiq:
>            Thus knowing where Rabbi Sternbuch gave these responses is
> important....

Depictions of RMF's gedulah often include the fact that he can pasqen
for people in different places hashkafically than he was, using their
givens.

But now when I look now, Google couldn't help me find specific examples.
(I seem to recall him ruling for a group from Bnei Akiva what is
appropriate for them to do on Yom HaAtzma'ut despite it being the Omer,
given what *they* believe the say commemorates.)

Whether this is true or not, it does raise the possibilty that knowing
the sho'el and knowing where the poseiq he relies on is coming from could
be significantly different things.

Micha Berger                 The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   life which is required to be exchanged for it,
Author: Widen Your Tent      immediately or in the long run.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Henry David Thoreau