[Avodah] rosh chodesh av

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 4 11:54:34 PDT 2024

On Tue, Sep 03, 2024 at 05:50:20PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> What is the proper attitude to have onrosh chodesh av given it's the start
> of the nine days (sad) and but also rosh chodesh (happy)? Is it a dialectic
> state of mind?

I am a big believer in halakhah demanding ambivalence and nuance in our
reactions. Like the person who inherits a fortune being required to make
a Birkhas Dayan haEmes on his loss and a Shehpor HaTov vehaMeitiv for
the inheritance. (Berakhos 59b)

As I posted on Avodah in the past, I think this need for ambivalence is
the resolution of the conflict between "baavod resha'im rinah", saying
there is rejoicing when evil people die, and "binfol oyivkha al tismach",
which demands we mourn the loss of human life, even of our enemies.

I heard in the name of the last Lubavitcher Rebbe this kind of idea
to explain R Nachman's "Mitzvah gedolah lihyos besimchah tamid", and
"Mishnichnas Av memaatim besimchah." One can mourn despite maintaining
a baseline joy.

Human reactions are often self contradictory. But this allows us to
relate to the full complexity of the situation. I am therefore enamored
of the idea that halakhah at times demands ambivalence, rather than
push us toward simplistic stances.

Chodesh Tov!

Micha Berger                 Weeds are flowers too
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   once you get to know them.
Author: Widen Your Tent             - Eeyore ("Winnie-the-Pooh" by AA Milne)
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF