[Avodah] Murder a Chok or Logically Compelling also KaVuA, OBriens Meat

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 20:58:01 PDT 2024

R Micha, you wrote - Consequentialism - the best outcome for the most people
-
but not in all circumstances
only where someone is anyway going to die, the boat example
or where someone will certainly be killed, what makes your blood redder
than his?

R Micha seemed to equating those cases to taking a random fellow
and killing them for spare parts

R Micha proposes that Torah calls for Virtue Ethics
that our primary concern is Middos Tovos ("virtues')

No Rashi says it is determined by what HKBH sees
one life is as good as any other life
and two lives is always better than one life

That the entire town must sacrifice their life
rather than give up one person
is due to the Mitzvah of Kiddush HaShem
Those demanding that the town hand someone over
when they could just as easily kill that person themselves
but demand the town hand them over
are being forced to demean HKBH - it is a Kiddush HaShem issue.

Imagine if they would break into the town and are searching for this fellow
would we be required to fight them
knowing that we cannot in the normal course of events, be successful
and will certainly be killed;
in order to save this Yid they want to murder?

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837
+61 423 207 837