[Avodah] Numerology

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 28 08:28:43 PDT 2024

On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 08:21:56AM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> The Rambam in Hilchot Avel 5:1 says:
>
> These are the matters forbidden to a mourner on the first day according to
> Scriptural Law and on the remaining [six] days according to Rabbinic Law.
> He is forbidden to ...                                             eleven
> matters in total

> IIRC this is not the only place he has a list and then tells you how many
> items there are in the list. Any insights as to why adding the number of
> items is important?

The famous list of 8 levels of Tzedaqah has the count first. And every
Koteret opens with "Hilkhos X. Yeish bikhlalan N mitzvos: I mitzvos asei,
ve-J mitzvos lo sa'aseih. Vezeh hu portan: ..."

So, if we ignore the side-issue of whether he opens or closes with a
count, the style is ubliquitous to the Yad.

A belebatishe answer... I find it much easier to remember a list if I
know how many items are on it. Or more precisely: I know to continue
proding my memory until I reach the target number.

Could the Rambam just be preparing the avel for when he doesn't have a
Yad in front of him by providing the count as a mnemonic?

Micha Berger                 When a king dies, his power ends,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but when a prophet dies, his influence is just
Author: Widen Your Tent      beginning.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                  - Soren Kierkegaard