[Avodah] Mamzeirim Not an Issue - Eventually they are lost in the population & Ben PeKuAh

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 28 08:39:53 PDT 2024

On Sun, Aug 25, 2024 at 03:00:40PM +1000, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
> But there is a far simpler answer
> the hybrid BP cannot be Shechted, as per Rashi
> because Shechita requires more than half the Simanim be cut
> and the hybrid has only 50% available for cutting
> since the component attributed to the BP parent is already deemed to be
> Shechted.

So then we're talking about an animal that at the end is fully cut --
half by birthright, and half now.

If there is a problem with that, it would be shehiyah, given the time between
the two shechtings.

In which case
> In that case when a 50/50 hybrid breeds with a regular
> the offspring is 75/25 and eminently Shechtable.

A 75/25 would still be a pseudo-shehiyah problem.

Not that I could fully get behind this analysis. I am just trying
close-to-leshitaskha reasoning.

And in any case, you say in the opening:
> Even though Ben PeKuAh requires Shechita for Maris HaAyin
> it is still not a regular Beheimah
> its Shechita is cosmetic.

Not, it's a din. The reason for the din might be mar'is ayin, cheshash,
or to create an appearance that would avoid future error, and thus the
motive could be called "cosmetic", the din itself is at this point
a gezeira, and iqar hadin. Even though it's "only" derabbanan, the
unshechted BP would be as treif as chicken parmesan.

Micha Berger                 It's never too late
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   to become the person
Author: Widen Your Tent      you might have been.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                    - George Eliot