[Avodah] kedusha on Shabbos

Arie Folger arie.folger at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 22:44:38 PDT 2024

RJRich asked:
> Anyone have a source as to why kedusha on Shabbos includes extra
> phrases not included in the weekday version? I always assumed it
> was the same reason that psukei dzimra is longer just because we
> have more time.

The reason is that on all special days we include extra words there,
sometimes multiple paragraphs; we call that peti'ha liqdusha. The most well
known text of this kind is ... Untaneh Toqef. Check you machzor and you
will see such texts are very common.

Originally, in Minhag EY, people were not allowed to recite the qedusha on
normal weekdays - Tosafot Sanhedrin 37 talks about that. There's even a
beautiful "ofan" piyut for Shabbat Rosh 'Hodesh where we mention what
angels recite qadosh, what angels recite barukh, but in contrast, states
the refrain, the congregation (of Jews) recites both qadosh and barukh
beshabatot uve'hodashim.

Thus it is not surprised that we continued the practice of beautifying the
qedusha on the special days.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Yours sincerely,