[Avodah] Chok

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 23 13:02:18 PDT 2024

On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 11:43:03AM -0400, Michael Poppers via Avodah wrote:
> In Avodah V42n49, R'Micha posts:
> > I was taken by R J Sacks zt"l's idea for what a choq is...
>> And since their role is to ingrain habit and instinct, the word "choq"
>> fits the /ch-q-q/ etymology.
>
> However, as RMFirst (bcc:ed) notes (URL:
> https://jewishlink.news/what-is-the-meaning-of-chok-2/) re other
> interpretations, this "create instinctive patterns of behavior" suggestion
> does not fit all the uses of "choq" in TaNaCH -- you can see all those
> examples in his article after he quotes RML:

My post was actually sparked by that article. RMF is a friend of our
former regular, RRW, and he had e-introduced us. So I was able to discuss
it with him by messenger. RMF hadn't seen RLJ Sacks' taken until then.

>> Fortunately, Rabbi Menachem Leibtag has discussed the meaning of חק in an
>> article available online on the Orthodox Union website ("Chukat: Parah
>> Adumah: What's a Chok?"). He concludes that a [choq] is a law that is fixed and
>> unchanging...

Except that it wouldn't explain the numer of non-chuqim. When most of
the laws are equally fixed, why would some be named by their fixed nature?
Lo sirtzah is more malleable than shaatnez?

For that matter, there is a different idiom for laws that are more fixed,
"halakhah leMoshe miSinai". Because anything else could have elements
open to rabbinic interpretation and pesaq.

Micha Berger                 "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   exactly the right measure of himself,  and
Author: Widen Your Tent      holds a just balance between what he can
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham