[Avodah] Yom Tov sheini

Joseph Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Fri Jul 5 11:31:27 PDT 2024

My thoughts on Joel’s question (42/46) are simple. As the analyses of Yom Tov sheini get more complex and bring in concepts of minhag, ma’arit ayin, airports being deserts (pretty nice and accommodating deserts), zilzul Yom Tov sheini, chutz la-aretz Shabbat minyanim in Yerushalayim for weeks following some yomim tovim, and more, I think it’s time to go back to first principles. Everybody used to follow the Torah’s days for Yom Tov until it became impossible for some, because of their location, to do so. And all who were in that location on Yom Tov did so (including, by necessity, residents of Ererz Yisrael who happened to be in that location), and all who were in Ererz Yisrael observed the Torah’s days only (no chutz la-aretz korbonot on the say after the seventh day of Pesach I assume.)  So if we’re going to continue the “minhag” of Yom Tov sheini, let’s do it like it was originally — If you’re in Israel for Yom Tov, follow the Torah’s days; if you’re outside Israel, do Yom Tov sheini. For everyone.

Joseph
Sent from my iPhone